The Santa Cruz County Association of REALTORS® was established in 1911 as the Santa Cruz Realty Board by a group of 10 individuals who wanted to exchange information about properties in Santa Cruz County.
Those Charter Members of the Board were Charles E. Canfield, Frank Wilson, Thomas Gannon, Harry Towne, A.M. White, Carl Rose, E.H. Day, Isaiah Hartman, J. A. Parker and Fred Garrison. Our first president was
Charles E. Canfield and it was not until July 11, 1921 that the Santa Cruz Realty Board joined the National Association of REALTORS® and the California Association of REALTORS®. In 1921 the Santa
Cruz Realty Board was up to 51 members and their aim and objective was to build up the board by an intensive membership drive. The president in 1921 was Charles E. Canfield, Frank Wilson was Vice President and the
Secretary/Treasurer was Geoffrey Neustedi. Their interest was watching new legislation closely and also other legislation related to or affecting the real estate industry.
In 1930 the California Real Estate Association held its annual convention in Santa Cruz. The members of the Santa Cruz Realty Board played an important part in making this one the finest annual meetings working on the State Entertainment Committee.
In 1959 we changed our name to Greater Santa Cruz Board of REALTORS® and again in 1961 changed our name dropping the "Greater". The Association has been in many locations over the years including
Seabright Avenue, Soquel Drive and Main Street where we currently have resided since 1997.
In 2010, under the leadership of President Steven Allen, the Association changed its name for the last time to the Santa Cruz County Association of REALTORS®. An important part of the Santa Cruz County Association of REALTORS® is
its many volunteers who contribute time and energy to the REALTOR® organization. To list all the names of those who have contributed would create volumes. However, we are proud of the distinguished group of volunteers, our Past Presidents,
our Committee Chairs and members.
SCCAR supports a comprehensive government affairs program designed to foster a political and legal environment in which members can operate their business successfully and the interests of their clients are protected. The SCCAR
Government Affairs Committee is actively engaged with national, state and local government bodies to help protect private property and engages in issues such as point of sale, water, local vacation rental ordinance and wood burning stoves, just to name a few.
We began with 10 members in 1911, in 1921 we were up to 51 down during the depression in 1933 up again in 1934 to 11 and in 1960 we had 73 members. Today we have over 1200
REALTOR® and Affiliate Members.
Our history is still in the making as we celebrate over 100 years of serving the real estate needs of Santa Cruz County.